Salaam Cultural Museum has participated in the coordination of several medical missions since late 2012. We have now taken the lead on coordinating these missions, and have become a registered NGO (non-governmental organization, similar to a non-profit status here in the US) in Jordan. This certification has given us greater ability to operate in Jordan, making it easier to bring in the medical supplies, equipment, and medications, and other donated goods.
Our missions typically last for about a week, and take place in clinics, hospitals, camps, make-shift clinics, and villages in northern Jordan. Our groups are made up of doctors, surgeons, dentists, ophthalmologists, nurses, therapists, and coordinating personnel. The mission participants are all self-supporting on the mission – they pay their own travel, accommodation, and food expenses, and many are able to use their luggage allotment on their flights to bring a suitcase or more of medications and supplies.
- We see anywhere between 250 to 700 patients per day, 85% of whom were women and children
- Provide medications for the prescriptions to patients – doctors bring what they can, funds are raised to purchase more in Jordan
- Distribute cans of baby formula
- Deliver medical supplies to various clinics that serve the displaced Syrians
- Non-medical team members distribute humanitarian supplies at various locations for women and children and coordinate activities for the children
We are also now running missions to the Greek island of Lesbos to aid the refugees coming in by boat there. The refugees come in cold, wet, and terrified. Our teams are providing medical and humanitarian assistance on the beaches and in the camps.
If you would like to participate in an upcoming mission, please contact us at our office in Seattle at 206-545-7307 and speak to Rita or Brenda. We need people with all kinds of skill sets- not just medical. If you have organizational skills, language skills, etc, please consider joining us.
Please see the Dates & Registration page for more information.
You can also submit this form for more mission information:
Error: Contact form not found.
Leave a Reply